On a whim, I made these for a party we hosted last week. I wasn’t sure how they would turn out, but they were a huge hit.
- • 6 medium zucchinis
- • 1 pound of fresh spinach
- • 1 small package of hard salami
- • 1 package of reduced fat cream cheese
- • 1 tbsp ground garlic
- • salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat a grill, or grill pan. Slice length wise the zucchini in thin strips. Discard the first and last slice that has the most skin. Place on grill and sear until grill marks appear and the zucchini is very soft. Set aside.
2. While grilling, dice up salami. In a medium pan, cook salami at medium heat. Once the fat has liquefied, drain on to a paper towel to remove most of the grease.
3. After removing the grease from the pan, cook down spinach. Cover with lid and stir occasionally. Once spinach is wilted, press in a strainer to remove most of the moisture.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cooked spinach, cooked salami, and garlic. Stir until well mixed. Do a taste test to see if it needs salt or pepper. Most salamis are very salty, so I leave the salt out.
5. Roll a tablespoon of the spinach and cream cheese mixture in each zucchini slice. Hold with a tooth pick. Best served chilled.