I’ve been reading a lot about the Paleo Lifestyle of eating. It’s intriguing. I saw a recipe for a quiche that the chef replaced the flaky pie crust with a crust made from meat. I like meat! I can do this! In fact, I have a freezer full of top quality ground beef that my family raised and butchered. Even better.
The caveman would be proud. Family raise cow. Family butcher cow. Family eat cow.
- 1 pound of ground meat (I used beef, but turkey or venison would be great)
- 1/4 cup pesto (I used home made which doesn’t look as pretty as the store bought stuff so I cooked it in with the beef – thats why it’s not pictured)
- 1 pound of cubed butternut squash
- 5 green onions, sliced – divided
- 1Tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the beef with the pesto. I divided it into two pie dishes. You can use one dish and end up with thicker slices. Your choice.
- In the same pan you cooked the meat, put in the squash and the whites of the green onions. Add a few TBSP of water and bring to medium heat. Allow steam to soften the squash. Add olive oil once steam has evaporated. Stir and sauté.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, chopped chives (the green stems of the onions), and the cottage cheese. Use a stick blender to puree or beat really well with a fork.
5. Once squash is browned, pour on top of meat.
6. Pour egg mixture on top of the pie.
7. Bake in oven for 35 minutes.
8. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, top with cheese.
This is a great breakfast, brunch or even a dinner option. Serve with a big side salad or some green beans and you’ve got yourself a meal.
Feel free to use different veggies if you’re not a big fan of squash. If you try this, share how it turned out for you in the comments.