I was feeling very tropical today. Basically I was hoping for sunshine since it is so cold. Hopefully this fun salad warms up inside with beautiful rays of sunshine!
Tropical Chicken Salad
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups cubed pineapple
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 orange
- 4 cups of your greens of choice
- Diced the cooked chicken breast into ½ inch pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Over medium heat, brown the pineapple and onions with the butter until golden brown. The sugar in the pineapple will help to caramelize the onions. *For someone who is not an onion lover, this helps neutralize the sharp flavors of the onion.
- Once the fruit is browned, toss with the chicken. Add in the tarragon and mayonnaise.
- To segment your orange, cut off both stem and flower ends so that they can sit flat on the cutting board. Run your knife along the sides to cut off the peel and pith. Next, you can either run your knife along the segment membranes to release the orange without membrane. Or for something a bit easier, cut the orange flesh in half, and dice. Because you have removed the pith, the membranes are barely noticeable.
- Squeeze any additional juice from the peels you cut off. Fold the oranges in with the chicken salad. Serve over your favorite bed of greens, or in lettuce leaves.